Looking for a baby shower gift and want to give something unique and useful without spending a ton of money? Here’s a great idea, given to me by my sister and perfected by years of personal use. For an inexpensive, but totally appreciated gift for your next baby shower (or to stick in your own diaper bag or purse), create your own diaper bag essentials kit.
Okay, technically these items are not exactly essentials. Let’s face it — when I’m running out the door for a quick outing, sometimes I just throw a couple of diapers and some wipes in my regular purse and leave it at that. But this little, portable bag of wonder is more like an upgrade, and is a must-have for any diaper bag (or even purse).
Here’s why I love it:
- It’s small, so it’s perfect for holding all the tiny diaper bag essentials that would otherwise get lost in your big bag.
- It’s clear, so you can easily find what you’re looking for.
- It’s portable, so you can easily move it from bag to bag if necessary.
- It’s totally customizable, so it grows with you and your baby (so when he grows up and scrapes his knee, you can put Band-Aids in there too).
Here are some ideas of what to put in it:
- Lotion, lip balm, and a flavor packet for your water bottle (you could include a water bottle with the gift if you like) because right after you have the baby, you will be completely dry and thirsty all the time, especially if you are breastfeeding (and even if you’re not, you’ll be that way for the first several weeks while your milk dries up).
- Non-alcohol hand sanitizer lotion because it doesn’t dry out your skin like regular hand sanitizer does. Trust me. With the amount of hand-washing that is required with a newborn, New Mama is going to want the lotion. It’s totally worth the price.
- Travel sink packet of detergent and a scented diaper bag dispenser like this one or even just a rolled up plastic grocery bag or Ziploc bag (or two) because any baby who does not poop through his outfit at least once while you are at someone else’s house is probably a robot. Plus, some doctor’s offices (and other establishments) don’t allow you to throw away a dirty diaper at their office, so they ask you to take it with you to dispose of properly. Just toss it in the scented diaper bag and you’re set! Just don’t forget you put it in there. One time my husband put a wet diaper back in our diaper bag (without any kind of bag to contain it, mind you) and he forgot to tell me about it, so when I went to fish out my wallet at Home Depot and pulled out the dirty diaper by mistake, it was more than a little embarrassing. But I digress…
- Gum for those moments when you have left the house thinking you have covered all your bases but then realize much too late that you haven’t yet brushed your teeth!
- Boogie Wipes for wiping boogers, as the name implies. I love these, not only because every time I hear their name, it is to the tune of Boogie Nights (“Boogie Wipes… Whoa Oh Oh!”), but also because they are very gentle on little noses and they smell delicious! The grape ones are my favorite.
- Tide to-go or Shout Wipes for the countless times you will get something spilled, wiped, or otherwise deposited on your outfit.
- Tissues because they ALWAYS come in handy, but especially while your emotions are all askew and you’re crying at Good Earth because of all the work the farmers did to provide you and your baby with organic carrots.
As my children have grown, I’ve added bobby pins, elastics and a small comb for those days I forget to give my daughter “ballet hair” before her dance class, and even little candies like Starburst or Life Savers to tide the kids over until I can get them something proper to eat. You can really put just about anything you want in here. Whatever works for you and your family.
And there you have it. A super inexpensive gift for you or your mama friends! Feel free to share in the comments any ideas you have for what you would include in this kit.
— The Conscious Mom